Dâlma cu brazi Cave
Dâlma cu brazi Cave is located on the left side of the Scocul Mare in the superior basin of the West Jiu river, at an altitude of about 150 m according to the DN66A and at 1200 m absolute altitude, right next to the confluence of Scocul Mare with Jidan river.
The cave entrance of a triangular shape, although relatively large (3 x 2 m), is well disguised, it is relatively hard to find and it is surrounded by a knot of trees, from where the name of the cave.
The main difficulty in visiting this cave is to find the entry, otherwise, except the narrow portion “La Strâmtoare”, it can be conveniently traversed. The normal visiting duration is of 2 hours.
Regarding the equipment, there some necessities (in the wet periods – for crossing the Great Basin) long rubber boots and a double light sources.
The cave is formed from a main gallery and a conjunction, having a total of 226 m. The main gallery is 3-5 m large and is has a height of 3 to over 10 m. The space expands in the north to the Great Basin Hall, named like this because of the temporary lake quartered in a floor depression, lake that forms in wet periods and can reach up to 1 m depth.
The lake along with the speleothems groups from the stalagmites class and the calcitic leakages on its edge – including a beautiful stalagmites of 2 meters high – gives the place a special charm, the tourists and photographers can realize here very special images.
The section of the Great Basin continues 20 m north and closes into an impenetrable hair-line crack at the Fundatura de Argilă.
To the south west starts a branch – an ascending gallery, concretionary that in the “La Strâmtoare” point requires a true “speleological ability” to pass to the terminal point. The stalactites and the stalagmites, as the rich calcite crusts offer here some extraordinary photographic objectives. The presence in this place of the remains of the Ursus Spelaeus proves that the morphology of the gallery has changed a lot in the last thousand years, since this great predator was here for the last time.
The disposition of the galleries entitles us to suppose that the Great Basin Hall represented the confluence point of two waters: the first, coming through “La Strâmtoare” by the side gallery, and the other representing a source coming from the depth of the mountain. The two waters were going then to the south, exiting through the current portal.
Among over the 300 caves mapped by cartographers in this area, Dâlma cu Brazi cave was among the few known and mentioned in earlier works. In 1929 P.A. Chappuis and A. Winkler collected underground fauna and made a first sketch of this cave. Bio-speleological researches were continued by the speleologists from Bucharest in 1957. In 1971 C. Goran mapped the whole cavity lay-out.