Having a spectacular landscape, the city of Uricani, Hunedoara, offers to the tourists many opportunities for rest, relaxation and sports (as much in summer as in winter) through the conception of equipment and touristic development of this area which has been enriched once the construction of the road connecting it to the Baile Herculane station was opened. We can’t offer all the information in this guide, but we invite you to visit this beautiful area, to discover the touristic resources and to enjoy the clean mountain air. Have a beautiful vacation!
Due to its positioning in the Southern Carpathians, the city of Uricani is dominated by the imposing peaks of Retezat and Vâlcan mountains and it is situated in the south-west part of Petroşani Depression on the West Jiu River, at a 650-725 meters altitude, in Hunedoara department. The city occupies a very important place in the Jiu Valley landscape because it is the city with the largest administrative surface in Romania. Being located at 29 km from Petroşani and 125 km from Deva, the access it’s made through the national road 66A (road that will connect the area with Herculane Station).
Good to know
Administrative surface: 25.141 hectare
- continental temperate
- medium multiannual temperatures the type of mountain climate, without great frost in the winter or canicular heat in summer
- medium annual temperatures fluctuate around 7ºC
- the lowest medium temperatures are recorded in January (-15ºC), and the highest in the month of July (20ºC)
- heavy precipitations with an annual medium of 900 mm – 1000 mm.
Vegetation and fauna:
- the protected flora of Uricani area is represented by 1050 species of plants, the wood species are included in the protected areal or declared monuments of nature (the fir, the spruce, the pine, the sycamore, the fraxinus, the hornbeam, the birch, the beech)
- the protected fauna is represented by 19 species (the bear, the wolf, the fox, the boar, the chamois, the wildcat, the deer, the squirrel, the common rabbit, the tree marten, the otter, the badger, the stoat, the yellow-necked mouse); the pride of Retezat mountain is represented by the population of chamois.
- other animals/ rare birds protected by law are the lynx, the golden eagle (the strongest bird of prey), the western capercaille.
Population: (2011 census) 8.749 inhabitants
– Câmpu lui Neag;
– Valea de Brazi.
Population distribution by nationality:
- 95,03% Roumanians
- 4,25% Hungarians
- 0,72% other nationalities
- 93% orthodox
- 5 % roman-catholic
- 2% pentecostal cult